Welcome

Welcome to my 'Evert Listens to Dylan'-blog.
In this blog I describe my listening experiences to 'Bob Dylan - The Complete Album Collection, Vol. 1'.
(I love that 'Vol. 1' - as if Vol. 2 with another 50 or so CDs is to appear soon).
If you want to know why, read the very first blog entry of this blog.
Comments welcome!
And may I invite you to check my other blog, 'Everts World of Music'?

zaterdag 13 februari 2016

8. John Wesley Harding

It took me lots of time to start writing this entry. Not because listening to and getting acquainted with John Wesley Harding has been a huge task; but because I kept also listening to Blonde on Blonde, and to Highway 61 Revisited, and to Bringing It All Back Home.

I like John Wesley Harding, though. Dylan's voice starts to change, it is sometimes less gruff, more polished. Musically he leans more towards a country-sound. The funny thing is that when I listen to Blonde on Blonde I am so impressed with the musicians - and those same musicians produce on this album to me an adequate but hardly ever a remarkable sound. If I listen concentrated, I hear great things - but it is not the shere awe of Blonde on Blonde to me.

Many great songs, though, and many sentences I love. A turn towards country (John Wesley Harding) and folk (As I Went Out One Morning) idiom. The great All Along the Watchtower and Dear Landlord. The Beatles' Rocky Raccoon in the shape of The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest (and a sleeve text that reminds one of Lennon's writings - or maybe vice versa?). And that strangely mellow last song, "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight".

I am looking forward to the next album. And I wonder how my taste for this album will develop in the times to come.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten